New 7 Wonders of the World
The New7wonders foundation organises a voting campaign, called “Your Vote counts! Help Make History…“, on the Internet to constitute a new list of 7 Wonders of the World.
The 21 finalists were selected by the New7Wonders Panel of Experts from a longlist of hundreds of nominations, which followed certains criteria for candidacy. They are:
– Acropolis, Athens, Greece
– Alhambra, Granada, Spain
– Angkor, Cambodia
– Chichen Itza, Yucatan, Mexico
– Christ Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Colosseum, Rome, Italy
– Easter Island Statues, Chile
– Eiffel Tower, Paris, France
– Great Wall, China
– Hagia Sophia, Istanbul, Turkey
– Kyomizu Temple, Kyoto, Japan
– Kremlin/St.Basil’s, Moscow, Russia
– Machu Picchu, Peru
– Neuschwanstein Castle, Schwangau, Germany
– Petra, Jordan
– Pyramids of Giza, Egypt
– Statue of Liberty, New York, USA
– Stonehenge, Amesbury, United Kingdom
– Sydney Opera House, Australia
– Taj Mahal, Agra, India
– Timbuktu, Mali
Everyone can vote online or by phone until 7th July.
The New 7 Wonders of the Wolrd will be announced during the Official Declaration ceremony in Lisbon, Portugal on Saturday, 7th July 2007.
The foundation, which is the body behind the New7Wonders campaign, has the express aim of documenting, maintaining, restoring and reconstructing world heritage under the motto: “Our Heritage is Our Future.” The New7Wonders Foundation allocates fund for restoration projects worldwide, amongst others the reconstruction of the Bamiyan Buddha in Afghanistan.
More about the aims of the foundation: here.